Sunday, July 22, 2012

First Things First

First things first, I'm 1 year 2 months and about a week away from my planned almost 80% confirmed dang-it-neither-hail-nor-hellfire-can-change-it wedding date of 28 September 2013.

I've barely started to skim the surface of wedding planning, but already I think there is a high chance of me morphing into bridezilla as the days go by. Or so I've been told. Hence the fairly pre-emptive blogtitle - there ain't gonna be no quiet and / or sympathetic behind my back whispers about this as the weeks pass. Stay loud, hang proud. 

The probability of me morphing into bridezilla is about 70%, I reckon. I have worked in jobs which require me to dissect, analyze, foretell, and assign probabilities to such and such an event occurring which should then prompt such and such a course of action, which ultimately should lead to such and such a conclusion, 5 years later. And I was Chairperson of the Activities committee in university, so it seems quite obvious that it should in some way impact my approach to such a once-in-a-lifetime never-gonna-effing-come-again this-better-not-screw-up.. ahem... uniquely personal milestone for me. 

Oh, and for my fiance of course. Naturally. :D 

But the good part about having been trained in a fast-paced career where split second judgment calls and spur of the moment presentations and meetings occur just about all the time is - 

1) I believe in fighting (and winning!) the big fights

2) I have very little time to waste, so I don't believe in wasting other people's time - I'll go in, get what I want and get out. Although, I am having a bit of a problem deciding on the right wedding dress design so I'm planning to get a lot of some counselling on that front. 

3) I weigh options pretty fast, once all the information is in - And if I don't expect the variables to fluctuate beyond a certain acceptance level, I'll make a decision pretty fast. But caveat - all the information must be in. Go broad, then dig down. That's how I work at my job anyway. The first week after the proposal, I'd already tabulated an Excel file with different sheets to collate all my information in one place. 

4) I do my very best - Which means I can be meticulous as hell pre-event, and will troubleshoot and tabulate even the probability of a meteor crash landing on my garden wedding tent, but it also means that if something unpredictable and totally no one's fault occurs, it really is no one's fault. Shit does happen, even if you think it shouldn't happen to you. 

5) Differentiate, differentiate, differentiate - While I appreciate that Malaysian brides would have a budget, which limits their options on location, bridal house, menu, and all the other wedding thingamajiggies, the one thing I believe that should not be limited is one's imagination. Differentiation need not be expensive. Its easier to differentiate if you have money, but that shouldn't be a prerequisite for a good idea. And that can only be enhanced through thorough research. Yay, that's up my alley too. I have some set ideas against certain accepted wedding norms, so I'll probably not be focusing on that too much - case in point, I think all-in packages from bridal houses are morphing into a huge factory-line type product - seriously, it feels like I'm going through a specs list for a car or a computer - 30 poses for pre-wedding, 7 gowns, corsage, 50 hardcopies for album, pay extra for VIP gowns.... WTF? Thanks, but no thanks. People say it will cost if you source everything separately, but its all about personalizing, individualizing. And I don't believe it can't be done at a reasonable cost. 

And what does my fiance think about all this shebang? 

He told me a few weeks ago after his proposal that all he wants is a happy bride. 

The guy really had no idea what that would entail, I think. He's pretty much in for it now. Ha ha.

Well, did I mention I told him I'll be quite kind? I like to think it's my middle name, written in invisible ink somewhere in my IC. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck my Lolly