Sunday, July 22, 2012

The White House SS2

Turning left off the LDP (coming from TTDI / Kepong / Curve) , The White House is that corner double storey converted house on your left, almost immediately after you make that turn. 


Given the shocking mushrooming of bridal houses in the SS2 area, I figured one good way to keep track of my visits is to start from the outside and geographically work my way in. Anyway, we did not have an appointment so we parked and went in. 


Main aim - look for a dress. We were met by a Steven Cheong (whose name card says Operation Manager), a somewhat quiet and reserved character who took us upstairs on our request to see the gowns. (He probably thought we were spies, but what the heck, can't you see the ring on my finger?!) 


Not a very extensive selection from what I could see. Most of the gowns were A-line strapless tube tops with beaded bodices and an assortment of skirt materials - creamy thick satin, can can. I quite detest those layered skirts that remind me of anything except how I want to look like on my wedding day, so about half the selection is out. There were about 7-8 metal rows, and on my estimate of about 10 gowns a row, you've got about 70-80 gowns upstairs? And about 60% was white. Some use quite a lot of faux cubic zirconia on the bodices which again I don't quite like (and herein is the disclaimer - views expressed are the author's opinions and you can't kill sue murder fault anyone for having an opinion) 


Pricing? Surprisingly cheap. They tag the sale prices onto the gowns (which I initially mistook for rental prices!) - and they range from RM799 to RM1699 for the bridal gowns (most made in China). The bridesmaids dresses range from RM100-200 and I saw some evening gowns at RM499. Selection quite limited though. 


I'm not sure if they have more dresses - I had already asked quite a fair share of questions to the reticent manager AND tried on 2 dresses AND had him record down the dress reference code should i need to come back.


I think I've now devised my wedding gown acquisition modus operandi. Walk into a store, hope all the sales assistants are busy tending to their overpaying standard factory bought package esteemed clients, zero in on the only male staff there, get him to walk you through the clothes, pick out the best, try them, have him record down the dress reference code and leave your contact number (to make the store happy that they've got your contact details) in case you want that dress. 


The White House also does custom made gowns - locally made gowns cost about RM2000, depending on material, etc. Email them pictures of a gown design you like and they can try to replicate it the best they can. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck my Lolly